Saudi Arabia Airstrikes Hit Iran Embassy in Yemen, Says Tehran
The diplomatic crisis between Iran and Saudi Arabia intensified Thursday, with Tehran banning all Saudi imports and accusing Riyadh of conducting "deliberate" airstrikes on its embassy in Yemen.
Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaber Ansari said the alleged air attacks in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, were "a violation of all international conventions that protect diplomatic missions," according to state television.
"Saudi Arabia is responsible for the damage to the embassy building and the injury to some of its staff," he said. His statement did not specify who was wounded or to what extent.
Saudi Arabia is carrying out a campaign of airstrikes in Yemen in support of forces fighting against Iranian-backed Houthi Shi'ite rebels. Riyadh has not commented on the Iranian accusations.
Also Thursday, Iran's cabinet banned the import of all products from Saudi Arabia, according to a government statement. It also put in place a ban on Iranians traveling to the holy city of Mecca.
The developments come after Saudi Arabia cut diplomatic ties with Iran last week following violent protests at the Saudi embassy in Tehran. The protesters were upset over the Saudi execution of prominent Shi'ite cleric Nimr al-Nimr, who was critical of the Riyadh kingdom.
Several Arab countries have since severed diplomatic relations with Iran, in solidarity with Saudi Arabia. Other nations have downgraded ties with Tehran.
Seoul to Resume Propaganda Broadcasts to Retaliate Against N. Korea Nuclear Test
South Korea announced it will resume loudspeaker propaganda broadcasts into North Korea on Friday in response to Pyongyang's nuclear test earlier this week.
"The broadcasts will begin tomorrow at noon (0300 GMT)," an official at the presidential Blue House said.
The two countries, which remain technically at war after the 1950-1953 Korean conflict, traded artillery fire in August over the broadcasts. South Korea stopped the transmissions after it agreed with Pyongyang on a package of measures aimed at easing animosities.
The North's claim that it tested a hydrogen bomb Wednesday is a "grave violation" of that August agreement, Cho Tae-yong, a senior presidential national security official, said in a statement.
"Our military is at a state of full readiness, and if North Korea wages provocation, there will be firm punishment," Cho said.