Suspected Syrian Suicide Bomber Kills 10 in Istanbul
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says a Syrian suicide bomber is believed to be responsible for Tuesday's blast in Istanbul that killed at least 10 people and wounded 15 others.
Erdogan condemned the attack in a televised address and said Turks and foreigners are among the dead.
The explosion hit Istanbul's historic Sultanahmet district, a major tourist area that is home to attractions such as the Blue Mosque and Haga Sophia.
Witnesses described the blast as loud and said it shook the ground.
Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu convened an emergency security meeting after the attack.
Turkey has been on alert for attacks since an October double suicide bombing killed more than 100 people at a gathering of peace activists outside a train station in the capital, Ankara.
The government cancelled planned New Year's celebrations in Ankara after detaining two suspected Islamic State members believed to be planning suicide attacks.
Turkish warplanes are taking part in the U.S.-led campaign of airstrikes targeting Islamic State militants in Syria.
US House Considers N. Korea Sanctions Vote
The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote Tuesday on a sanctions measure that would block North Korea’s access to the hard currency it needs for its nuclear weapons program.
Republican House Foreign Affairs Chairman Ed Royce sponsored the sanctions bill, which is seen as a response to North Korea's announcement last week that it had conducted a fourth nuclear test — this one detonating a thermonuclear device with massive destructive power. That claim has been met with widespread skepticism.
Royce said the threat from North Korea's nuclear advances is unacceptable, and that Congress should take the lead.
The North Korea Sanctions Enforcement Act would authorize the seizing of any assets connected with North Korea's proliferation, illicit activities and human rights violations. It would deny North Korean leaders access to the U.S. financial system, and it presses the president to sanction individuals who facilitate cyberattacks against the United States.
The U.N. Security Council, which met in an emergency session hours after the January 6 nuclear test was detected, is also considering new sanctions against North Korea for its "clear violation" of previous U.N. resolutions.
The council last approved sanctions against North Korea three weeks after Pyongyang's third nuclear test on February 12, 2013.