United States calling on China to disclose casualties of June 4th crackdown
The United States is calling on China to disclose the full number of casualties during the military's bloody 1989 crackdown on pro-democracy protestors in Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
Human rights groups believe several hundred to several thousand people were killed when tanks rolled through Tiananmen Square to squelch the student-led demonstrations.
In a statement released Monday on the 29th anniversary of the massacre, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States joined the international community in urging the Chinese government "to make a full public accounting of those killed, detained or missing."
"The ghosts of June 4th have not yet been laid to rest," Pompeo said, quoting a line from the late dissident Liu Xiaobo's 2010 Nobel Peace Prize speech delivered in absentia. Liu died last year while still in custody.
China responded angrily to Pompeo's statement later Monday. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters that it had lodged a formal protest with the United States.
Beijing forbids any form of public or private observance of the Tiananmen Square massacre on the mainland, and refuses to acknowledge the incident ever took place. An annual public observance, the only one of its kind on Chinese soil, will be held Monday in Hong Kong's Victoria Park.
Russia Invites North Korean Leader for Visit
Russian President Vladimir Putin has invited North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to Russia to attend an upcoming global forum.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters Monday in Moscow that President Putin issued the invitation to Kim in a letter delivered by Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov during Lavrov's trip to Pyongyang last week.
Peskov says Putin suggested Kim attend the Far Eastern Economic Forum in Vladivostok in September.