Investigators Search for Suspects in New York Bombing
The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation and police in New York were still searching Monday for suspects and possible links between a bomb that exploded Saturday night in Manhattan and another found nearby.
Authorities stopped a "vehicle of interest" on a highway in the Brooklyn section of New York late Sunday, and the FBI said it questioned five people inside, but that no one had been charged with any crime.
The blast Saturday in the Chelsea neighborhood wounded 29 people, all whom have been released from the hospital.
The second device, recovered a short time after the first went off, involved a pressure cooker with a cell phone attached to it. Police were able to safely remove it from the area and said Sunday they blew it up in a controlled explosion.
FBI technicians are examining evidence from both of the bombs at a lab near Washington.
CNN also cited multiple law enforcement sources saying a man was seen on surveillance footage at both bomb sites.
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio cautioned Sunday a lot of work remains to figure out the motivation behind the bombing. "Was it a political motivation, a personal motivation, what was it? We do not know that yet." he told reporters.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called the blast an "act of terrorism," but said there was no evidence of "international terrorism." Cuomo also said an extra 1,000 police and National Guard troops would patrol the New York subway system as a precaution.
Both leaders also said there was no evidence yet linking the New York bombs with a pipe bomb that exploded Saturday morning in a trash can in a New Jersey beach town 135 kilometers south of the city. No one was hurt in that blast.
Authorities found another suspicious device late Sunday at a New Jersey train station located just outside New York. They suspended rail service in that area while they investigated, and it was too early to know if it had any connection with the other incidents in the region.
US Urges North Korea to Get Serious
Nine days after North Korea’s latest nuclear test, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry Sunday expressed a continued willingness to try to revive dialogue with Pyongyang if it freezes its atomic weapons and ballistic weapons development programs.
A multi-national forum intended to denuclearize the Korean peninsula was set up in 2003, but the parties (both Koreas, China, Japan, Russia and the United States) have not met since December 2008, when talks stalled over verification issues.
Analysts, reviewing open source satellite imagery, say the impoverished country may have completed preparations for three more nuclear tests that could occur at any time.
South Korea’s foreign minister, Yu Byung-se, appeared in no mood Sunday to consider negotiations with his country’s arch-rival, in view of Pyongyang’s repeated defiance of U.N. Security Council resolutions and sanctions.
Yun called for the current U.N. General Assembly to “send out a united and forceful message,” and impose even more robust sanctions on North Korea as it is “now at the final stage of nuclear weaponization.”
Yu warned that Pyongyang’s weapons are a “looming perfect storm that may not only pounce on Northeast Asia but sweep over the entire world.”