Turkey Identified Istanbul Nightclub Shooter
Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Wednesday authorities have identified the gunman who killed 39 people in a New Year's attack at a nightclub in Istanbul.
Cavusoglu made the announcement during an interview with the state-run Anadolu news agency, but did not give the attacker's name.
Turkish media broadcast video Tuesday of a man they said was the suspected gunman walking around Istanbul's Taksim square. It was unclear when the video was recorded. Authorities had earlier released a grainy image of the suspected shooter taken from security camera footage.
Anadolu also reported Wednesday authorities had detained five more people in connection with the attack. The five were suspected to be members of the Islamic State group.
Turkey Warns Cease-fire Violations Threaten Syria Peace Talks
Turkey is warning that violations of the cease-fire in Syria could jeopardize peace talks planned for later this month.
Russia and Turkey, which support opposing sides in the conflict, brokered the nationwide halt in fighting last week, building on their efforts to arrange the peace negotiations to be held in Astana, Kazakhstan.
"If we cannot stop the increasing violations, the Astana process could fail," Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told the state-run Anadolu news agency Wednesday.
He blamed pro-government fighters, including the Lebanon-based Hezbollah militant group, for violating the cease-fire. Cavusoglu also said Russian officials were due to visit Turkey next week to discuss the framework for the peace talks.
Syria's main rebel groups have cited government violations of the truce in their decision to suspend participation in the peace talks process.