Trump Discusses North Korea Nuclear Threat With Leaders of China, Japan
U.S. President Donald Trump discussed the threat posed by North Korea's nuclear program in separate phone calls with Chinese President Xi Jinping and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
The White House said both Trump and Xi "reaffirmed their commitment to a denuclearized Korean Peninsula," while Trump also raised the threat of North Korea's ballistic missile program.
Chinese state media said Xi told also Trump "negative factors" have affected U.S.-China relations, and that Xi hopes Trump will appropriately handle Taiwan-related issues according to the "One China" principle.
Since 1979, the United States has recognized China's official position that Taiwan is part of China. Last week, the U.S. approved $1.42 billion in arms sales to Taiwan.
In the conversation with Abe, the White House said both leaders were united on increasing pressure on North Korea to "change its dangerous path" and that the U.S. and Japan are ready to respond to "any threat or action taken by North Korea."
The White House statements ended by saying Trump and Xi, and Trump and Abe, look forward to meeting in person this week at a summit of G-20 leaders in Hamburg, Germany.
In addition to bilateral meetings with the Chinese and Japanese leaders, Trump is also due to hold talks with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and Russian President Vladimir Putin.
On Sunday, at least 10,000 people in Hamburg peacefully protested the upcoming summit — one of about 30 protests planned in the coming days — in part to protest Trump's policies, including his announced intention to pull the U.S. out of the 2015 international Paris accord to limit greenhouse gas emissions in the coming years.
Summits of world leaders often are held in exclusive, remote resorts, the easier to control security, however this year's gathering is in the heart of Hamburg.
But that is not the case in Hamburg, by design, where German Chancellor Angela Merkel picked the city as the summit host in part to show world leaders that protests play an accepted role in a vibrant democracy.
Qatar Wins 48-hour Extension of Deadline Set by Saudis, Other Arab States
Saudi Arabia and its allies involved in a prolonged diplomatic dispute with Qatar said Monday they would extend by 48 hours a deadline for Qatar to comply with their demands.
Kuwait, which has been trying to negotiate a peaceful end to the Gulf Arab states' blockade of Qatar, asked for the deadline extension Sunday, shortly before time for Qatar's reply to the Saudi-led coalition was due to expire.
A coordinated statement released early Monday by the state news agencies in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia confirmed the deadline had been extended until the end of Monday.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt severed diplomatic and commercial links with Qatar on June 5, accusing the government in Doha of supporting terrorism in an alliance with Iran.
Qatar has denied the accusations and said such charges are baseless. The small Gulf state's foreign minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, has said the demands by the Saudis and their partners - including the withdrawal of Turkish troops in Qatar, closure of the Qatari-state-owned Al Jazeera news group and a downgrading of Qatar's relations with Iran - are impossible to meet without sacrificing Qatar's sovereignty.
Although Al Thani signaled the Saudis' demands were virtually certain to be rejected, Qatar has not yet formally responded to the Arab group.
Egypt said on Sunday the foreign ministers from the four boycotting countries would discuss the situation with Qatar in Cairo on Wednesday.
U.S. President Donald Trump discussed the situation by phone in separate calls Sunday with Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Qatari Emir Tamin bin Hamad Al Thani and Abu Dhabi's Crown Prince Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
A White House statement said Trump addressed his concerns about the dispute, and also stressed the importance of regional unity, stopping terrorist financing and discrediting extremist ideology.
The United States has supported Kuwait's attempt to mediate the Gulf Arabs' dispute. Washington has strong ties to both sides: the U.S. Navy's Fifth Fleet is berthed in Bahrain and a land base in Qatar is the largest U.S. military facility in the region. In addition, hundreds of billions of dollars' worth of pending arms deals between the United States and Saudi Arabia potentially could be affected by the outcome of the diplomatic dispute.