民主党籍的纽约市长白思豪(Bill de Blasio)星期三宣布，纽约市政府控告5大石油公司对全球变暖负有责任，并卖掉纽约市退休基金中50亿美元的石油产业股份。
New York City Suing 5 Oil Companies Over Global Warming
New York City is making a move against the fossil fuel industry on two fronts.
Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Wednesday the city is suing five big oil companies for global warming and divesting $5 billion in oil investments from the city's pension funds.
The mayor compared the oil companies to cigarette manufacturers, who knowingly made and marketed a product they knew was deadly.
Three of the five companies the city is suing -- Chevron, ExxonMobil and Shell -- said the lawsuit has no merit and that the courtroom is not the place to fight global warming. BP and ConocoPhillips declined to comment.
Mayor de Blasio and City Comptroller Scott Stringer also announced plans to sell off $5 billion in fossil fuel investments from the city's $189 billion pension fund for employees.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced similar plans for the state pension funds last month.
Several other U.S. and European cities, universities and global funds have also sold off their oil company interests.
NYC Pipe Bomb Suspect Indicted
A U.S. grand jury has indicted 27-year-old Akayed Ullah of Brooklyn, New York, on six counts in connection with the attempted detonation of a pipe bomb in a Manhattan subway station on December 11, 2017.
The indictment charges Ullah with providing and attempting to provide material support to Islamic State, which has been designated a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. government. It also includes one count of using a weapon of mass destruction; one count of bombing a place of public use; one count of destruction of property by fire or explosives; one count of conducting an attack against a mass transportation system; and one count of using a destructive device in a violent crime.
Ullah was found near the site of the blast with what appeared to police to be components of an exploded pipe bomb on his person -- including a 9-volt battery, wires, plastic zip ties, pieces of a metal pipe, and what appeared to be a Christmas tree lightbulb. He was the only person seriously injured in the attempted attack near the New York Port Authority bus terminal.
The indictment said he waived his Miranda rights, otherwise known as "the right to remain silent," when questioned by police without a lawyer present.
During his interview with police, the indictment said, Ullah said he constructed the pipe bomb and carried out the attack on December 11. He also said, "I did it for the Islamic State."
Ullah said he was inspired by pro-Islamic State materials he found online. He followed the advice of a video saying if would-be jihadists couldn't get overseas to join Islamic State, they should carry out attacks at home.
He said he carried out the attack partly because he was upset with U.S. policy toward the Middle East.
Ullah is expected to be brought before a judge on Thursday to plead guilty or not guilty.