Turkish authorities charged three people and detained 22
Turkish authorities have charged three people and detained 22 others as part of an investigation into last week's deadly coal mine disaster in western Turkey that killed 301 miners.
Bekir Sahiner, the prosecutor, said: "Suspects are accused of, at this stage, negligence and contributing to the deaths of more than one person."
A preliminary report on the accident, obtained by Turkey's Milliyet newspaper, indicated several safety violations in the mine, including a shortage of carbon monoxide detectors and ceilings made of wood instead of metal.
The accident has triggered protests across Turkey aimed at the government and the mine owners who protesters say neglected safety. Nearly 800 miners were underground at the time of the blast.
Mine operator Soma Komur has denied any claim of negligence.
Floods Devastate Balkans
Floods in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia and Serbia have killed at least 37 people and left tens of thousands homeless.
Much of the region remains under water Monday as rescue and evacuation efforts continue.
Many people have crammed into boats and army trucks to escape the water. Much of the region has no electricity.
The floods have caused more than 2,000 landslides and are uncovering mines left over from the Balkan wars of the early 1990s.
Russian cargo planes and helicopters from the European Union are helping with the relief efforts.
Experts say the jet stream stalled a huge front over the Balkans, dumping about four months' worth of rain in just a few days.
Pope Francis is asking the world to pray for victims of the worst flooding to hit the Balkans in more than a century. Francis told his weekly Sunday audience at the Vatican that he feels personal closeness to those living through pain and trouble.