New Raids, Detentions in London Attack Investigation
London police carried out more raids Monday in connection with their investigation into Saturday's attack that killed seven people and wounded more than 50 others.
Authorities said the Counter Terrorism Command detained "a number" of people during searches at locations in the Newham and Barking areas.
The new detentions add to the 12 people police said had been arrested as of late Sunday.
Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack through its Amaq news agency.
The violence began with a van striking pedestrians on London Bridge. Police say three men armed with knives then got out of the van and went to a nearby market area where they stabbed numerous people.
Authorities said armed officers shot the three attackers dead within eight minutes of the first call to emergency services. They said canisters the attackers wore, making them look like suicide bombers, were fake.
British Home Secretary Amber Rudd said Sunday that police believe the three who were shot dead by police were the only attackers.
Prime Minister Theresa May said Sunday that three terrorist attacks in Britain in the last three months are "bound together by the evil ideology of Islamist extremism."
There is "far too much tolerance for extremism in our country," May said. "We need to be more robust in identifying and stamping out extremism in public service and across society...it's time to say enough is enough."
May said Saturday's attack does not appear to be connected to the a suicide bombing last month that killed 22 people in Manchester or another attack on Westminster Bridge in March.
But she said "terrorism breeds terrorism" and that the perpetrators are "copying one another."
Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates each issued statements condemning the attack and expressing support for Britain.
Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Bahrain Cut Diplomatic Ties with Qatar
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt each announced Monday the cutting of diplomatic ties with Qatar, accusing it of supporting terrorism.
The countries made the separate moves in short succession, saying they would withdraw their diplomatic staff from Qatar and cut air and sea traffic to the country.
Saudi Arabia, which leads a coalition of nations fighting in support of Yemen's government, also said Qatar's forces would be withdrawn from that fight.
The Saudi state-owned SPA news agency said Qatar "embraces multiple terrorist and sectarian groups aimed at disturbing stability in the region, including the Muslim Brotherhood, ISIS and al-Qaida, and promotes the message and schemes of these groups through their media constantly."
There was no immediate reaction from Qatar, but in the past it has denied supporting terrorism.
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said he does not expect Monday's actions to have an impact on the fight against terrorism in the region or globally. He urged all of the parties to sit down and address their disagreements and said the U.S. thinks it is important for the members of the Gulf Cooperation Council to remain unified.