Migrants Reach US-Mexico Border, Likely Face Long Wait
Several hundred Central American migrants arrived Wednesday in the Mexican border city of Tijuana after a month of traveling in hopes of entering the United States.
About 800 migrants are now in Tijuana, and many said they would stay there and wait for the rest of their caravan to arrive and for leaders to advise them on their options for seeking U.S. asylum. Some of the early arrivals went to the border fence to celebrate.
The bulk of the migrant group, about 4,000 people mostly from Honduras, is making its way through the state of Sonora and is expected to arrive in Tijuana in a few days.
The San Ysidro port linking Tijuana to the U.S. city of San Diego, is the busiest crossing on the border. But it only processes about 100 asylum claims per day, meaning those in the caravan who seek that route face a long wait.
Tijuana could also feel the strain with migrant shelters there already at or near capacity.
The U.S. Customs and Border Protection announced Monday it was closing some vehicle lanes at the San Ysidro crossing and the nearby Otay Mesa crossing in order to install additional security “in preparation for the migrant caravan and the potential safety and security risk that it could cause.” Those measures include barricades, fencing, jersey walls and concertina wire.
U.S. President Donald Trump has sharply criticized the caravans, casting them as a “national emergency.” On Saturday, he signed a proclamation declaring migrants who enter the country illegally ineligible for asylum. That goes against laws that state anyone is eligible for asylum no matter how they entered the country.
Trump has also ordered thousands of troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to support border patrol agents.
Pence on North Korea: 'Now We Need to See Results'
The proposed second summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un must result in a detailed list of North Korean nuclear weapons sites, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence said Thursday.
In an interview with NBC News, Pence said the second Trump-Kim summit, tentatively scheduled for sometime early next year, will be where a "verifiable plan" to disclose the nuclear sites must be reached.
“I think it will be absolutely imperative in this next summit that we come away with a plan for identifying all of the weapons in question, identifying all the development sites, allowing for inspections of the sites and the plan for dismantling nuclear weapons,” Pence said.
"Now we need to see results," Pence added. But he said the U.S. will not demand that Pyongyang hand over such a list before the summit. Such a list is widely seen as the first step North Korea could take to show it is serious about giving up its nuclear arsenal.
Pence's statement is perhaps the most specific public demand that the Trump administration has made of North Korea since Trump and Kim held a historic first summit in Singapore in June.
At that summit both sides agreed to work toward the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula and to improve ties between Washington and Pyongyang. Nuclear talks have stalled since then.
Most recently, a planned meeting between U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and a senior North Korean official was canceled, with no reason given.
But Trump has remained publicly optimistic, declaring shortly after the Singapore summit that "there is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea."
Last week Trump said he is "very happy" with how the negotiations are going.
"We think it’s going fine. We’re in no rush. We’re in no hurry," Trump said.